Over the last week (12/23-12/29) the Pocket Network protocol successfully relayed over 1.42 Billion application requests(up by 7.5%) & the number of staked nodes increased further to 17.8k nodes (up by 6.7%) when compared to last week!
Weekly Relay Recap & Analysis 👋
On December 28th, Pocket Network broke another daily record by processing 205.4M relays over the course of 24 hours. The previous record was held on 12/09 with 202.9M relays processed. This moment was captured by the POKTscan network statistics bot on Twitter:
Node count continues to trend upwards; once again, adding more than 1118 nodes compared to last week.
The average daily relays were almost similar to last week at around 187.6M relays.
Over 5.25B relays have been processed in total throughout the last four weeks. The exact figures are displayed in the table below.
For those interested in diving deeper into the metrics, one can find them on C0D3R’s Pocket Network charts.
The pie chart below shows the distribution of all POKT rewards minted over the past week between the service nodes, block producers, and the Pocket DAO.
Distribution of relays requested by blockchains:
While the top relay drivers continued to remain the same, here are the top risers of the week:
- Ethereum Archival Trace - Up by 5296%. Grew from 4k relays to 213k relays.
- BSC Mainnet - Up by 104.7%. Grew from 1.1M relays to 2.2M relays.
- POKT mainnet - Up by 96.7%. Grew from 1.1M relays to 2.2M relays.
- Polygon mainnet - Up by 91.8%. Grew from 18M relays to 35M relays.
- FUSE mainnet - Up by 79%. Grew from 47M relays to 85M relays.
What do you think the lineup will be like next week? Share your thoughts on Twitter!
wPOKT dev log #6 was published earlier today!
Here’s the quick download:
- Ferrum Network has been building a multi-chain bridge.
- It connects native POKT to Ethereum and EVM compatible networks for wPOKT.
- A 2nd audit has been signed with Packet Labs for an additional penetration test of the POKT <> wPOKT bridge.
- Interest in the wPOKT Open Testing has exceeded expectations with 204 applicants!
- Voting on the “Security by Anonymity” option in PIP-10 starts tomorrow, January 1st, 2022.
For more details and links, read the full developer log here:
There are no new proposals up for vote as of today. However, PIP-10 is planned to go up for tomorrow.
These proposals are under active discussion by community members:
- PUP-11: WAGMI Inflation
- PIP-10: wPOKTMulti-Sig Signer Selection
- PEP-19: The Development of PocketRS, Ongoing Client Support, and Feature-Rich Documentation
- PEP-16: Universal Contributor Income
- PIP-9: Consensus Rule Change RC-0.8.0
PEP-18: Node Launcher (and Node Pilot continued)
Full proposal here:
PUP-10: Increase Session Node Count to 24
Full proposal here:
Pocket Network’s protocol team created Merkle Sum Index Trees by innovating on Plasma-Core’s Merkle Sum Tree. This is the proof that nodes submit to the pocket blockchain for the work that they did.
The team has also been working on the Pocket 1.0 specifications. Join the next monthly community call in January to see the unveiling of the specs.
Community-developed Ecosystem Tools
Here are the latest releases and updates from POKTscan:
- ENHANCEMENT: Value rounding correction
- ENHANCEMENT: Relabeling of columns' titles when the values are POKT
- ENHANCEMENT: Redistribution in the tooltips of the charts of Network Stats tab in Explore view
- ENHANCEMENT: Month Descending sort by default on Rewards Table in Node Runner.
- ENHANCEMENT: now truncating values instead of rounding to be more precise.
- ENHANCEMENT: Added ability to select multiple chains on By Nodes rewards.
- ADDED: WebSocket support for real time notifications and sync status updates.
- BUG FIX: Now can select different types of chart on App Chart of Network Stats tab in Explore.
- BUG FIX: Error when changing node selection on By Nodes Chart of Rewards tab in Explore.
- BUG FIX: Fix time display on Latest Block and tables that does not format times on browser timezone.
- BUG FIX: Fix load error when select big node runner domains.
- BUG FIX: Not duplicating tooltips on charts.
Check out POKTscan and experience all the updates by going here.
Other Community Updates
Node Runner Office Hours
This week’s Node Runner Office Hours spoke about:
- Revision of ways to spin up a node.
- Team is working on bringing ledger support, it is under active development.
- NodePilot will release support for the Harmony chain very soon.
Watch the video here:
Node Runner Office Hours is a weekly community call that happens every Wednesday at 1 PM, EST. Head over to the Pocket Network discord channel to subscribe to the call next Wednesday.
POKTpool has completed 6 tranches and Tranche 7 is now live. Here are some fun stats:
- POKTpoolers = 148
- Total nodes = 107
- Total roll over rewards = 104,794 POKT
- Total Days Active = 36
- Total staked = 1,645,125 POKT
700k+ POKT is already committed for Tranche 8. Join their discord channel to know more and take part in fractional staking!
STORJ case study: Pocket Network Accelerates the Spin-Up of New Nodes
STORJ shares a case study featuring Pocket Network. It dives into how Pocket Network leveraged STORJ’s Decentralized Cloud Storage (DCS) to host daily state history images, while saving on storage costs.
This enables new node operators to download the latest state so they can get up and running in minutes to hours instead of days, especially since the size of the Pocket Network blockchain has grown to over 300 GB.
Using STORJ DCS, the Pocket Network team has eliminated a centralized part of the development stack with an added bonus of increased security, privacy, and performance.
Altogether, this case study demonstrates the composability and interconnectivity of a truly decentralized web3 development stack.
DFDAO Partners with Pocket Network to Support their Community Round with Decentralized xDAI Node Infrastructure 🪐
DFDAO partners with Pocket Network to support their Dark Forest community round as their default (decentralized) RPC provider (as a protocol).
For node runners, this also means an incoming spike of xDAI traffic to serve through the duration of DFDAO’s community round.
If you want to get access to this round, follow the instructions available here:
Players who are whitelisted will automatically receive $0.15 xDAI to start the game, courtesy of the Pocket Network team. That should be plenty to make a handful of moves, especially during a low gas environment. As an added bonus, the Pocket team will provide another process to claim additional xDAI if players run out of their original drip, as we’ve done in previous official Dark Forest rounds.
Protocol Specialist of Coinbase Elias Simos’ 69 most interesting crypto-charts for 2021
Elias highlights that relay growth has picked up over the last couple of months as developers began seeking alternative networks to deploy to outside of Ethereum. Pocket makes it easy to access the long-tail of blockchains with its decentralized RPC service (as a protocol), while delivering a very competitive price point to web3 devs and directing value to the multi-chain node operators servicing these applications.
What can you do to drive relays and add nodes to the network?
Apps & App Users
If you care about privacy and decentralization, replace the default network provider in your MetaMask wallet with actual decentralized node infrastructure by adding a Pocket-powered RPC endpoints for Ethereum, Avalanche, xDAI, Fuse, and/or Polygon through the custom rpc settings!
Try out any of these other apps listed in the Conscious Dappitalism page within our new docs .
You can also earn a skill-role in our Discord community server for dogfooding any of those applications by completing a quest within the POKT arcade.
Nodes & Node Runners
Don’t know how to run a node? Check out the Node Runner docs above to learn how.
Try out Node Pilot, it’s the most user-friendly option to spin up both base layer blockchain nodes and Pocket nodes.
If you run into any issues, a community of node runners (and our support team) would be happy to help. If you’d prefer to not run a node yourself, check out the forum for a list of node providers offering their services to people interested in participating in the ecosystem.
How to purchase POKT to stake?
When you are ready to take the step forward in supporting decentralized node infrastructure and earning Pocket’s native cryptocurrency for serving apps then visit any of these community-established OTCs:
They are the best way to buy or sell POKT; and it helps nodes cover the cost of their infrastructure. Join either private telegram channels (requires telegram) and message the admin to get started. Note that there are fees associated with the OTCs to help cover their costs and that neither Pocket Network, Inc., the Pocket DAO, nor the Pocket Foundation receives any of these fees nor any proceeds from the sale of POKT through the OTCs.
Connect with Pocket:
🦜 Follow Pocket on Twitter at @POKTnetwork
💬 Chat with the Pocket team and community in Discord
👾 Visit the Pocket Network Website
♻️ Learn more about wPOKT
🔗 Mint an RPC endpoint for your application